Alcohol & Weight Gain
How Alcohol Contributes to Weight Gain
- Alcohol is ingested
- Alcohol is metabolized
- Fat oxidization stops
- Weight gain begins and metabolism begins to slow down.
Understanding the process:
The body can’t store alcohol, so it metabolizes it right away. Since the alcohol becomes priority in the metabolic process, your body won’t metabolize other fats and sugars efficiently, ultimately slowing your metabolism down over time.
Alcohol contains 7 calories per gram (that’s almost the same as pure fat!)
Compare this to:
- Protein (4 calories per gram)
- Carbs (4 calories per gram)
- Fat (9 calories per gram)
When it comes to weight-loss (or gain), it ultimately boils down to calories-in vs. calories-out, and the empty calories in alcohol (which have no nutritional value) can easily add up.
How many calories are you drinking?
- A spirit and coke has similar calories to a blueberry muffin.
- A pina colada has similar calories to a doughnut.
- A glass of wine has similar calories to a slice of cake.
- A 50ml of liqueur has similar calories to two sausages.
- A pint of lager has similar calories to a slice of pizza.
- A frozen margarita has similar calories to a cheeseburger.
- The juices and sodas that many alcoholic beverages are mixed with are loaded with sugar, which can be stored as FAT!
- POOR FOOD CHOICES:
- Drinking often increases your appetite and decreases your mindfulness — which leads to poor food choices and over-eating.
DID YOU KNOW: Average wine drinkers consume 2,000 extra calories each month? That’s the same as 141 ice cream cones per year!
Fact: Alcohol accounts for 10% of the daily calorie intake in adults who drink.
DRINK IN MODERATION
What is moderation?
- Male = 2 standard drinks per day
- Women = 1 standard drink per day
What is a “standard” drink?:
- 5 oz. of wine
- 12 oz. of beer
- 1.5 oz. of spirit (shot)
BE MINDFUL OF YOUR MIXERS
- sugary sodas
- sugary juices
- frozen/blended drinks
- Club soda
- fresh fruit
- tonic water
DID YOU KNOW: A 100-calorie shot of tequila turns into a 500-calorie margarita once it is swirled into the margarita mix.
THWART THE MUNCHIES & CURB YOUR INTAKE
- Eat a healthy meal before going out to keep you feeling full.
- Drink water between alcoholic beverages to help you consume less alcohol
- Prepare healthy snacks before going out to prevent post-drinking noshing.
BEST DRINKS TO ORDER
- Vodka & soda with lemon
- Light beer
- Gine & tonic with lime
- Red wine