Mornings can be a stressful time of the day and with busy schedules and responsibilities we have to tend to, many of us don’t have time to cook breakfast. One way to get around this is by preparing your breakfast for the week the weekend before so you still get the nutrients you need to have energy through the morning but don’t have to spend time cooking every morning. This Spinach & Feta Sweet Potato Breakfast Quiche is a great recipe to try if you’re looking for a healthy and delicious breakfast that is easy to prepare.
Yield: 1 Quiche
Calories per slice: 174
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 medium red onion, cut into thin wedges
1 garlic clove, chopped
600 g sweet potatoes, peeled and mashed (Approximately 2 ½ Large Sweet Potatoes)
2 1⁄2 cups baby spinach leaves (measure firmly packed)
1 cup almond milk
8 eggs whites
1 ¾ cup crumbled low-fat feta cheese
1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
Fresh ground black pepper to taste
1⁄4 cup grated parmesan cheese
2 tablespoons pine nuts (optional)
- Heat oven to 400° F. Pierce each sweet potato several times with the times of a fork. Bake approximately 45 mins until tender (They can also be microwaved for convenience)
- Blend egg whites, sweet potato, almond milk, nutmeg and pepper in a food processor or blender.
- Heat the olive oil in a large non-stick frying pan, add onion and garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add spinach and cook, stirring 1 minute until spinach is wilted. Cool.
- Combine the sweet potato puree and all other ingredients into a greased large pie dish .
- Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and pinenuts and bake in a moderate oven 350°F for 35-40 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Allow to stand for 5-10 minutes before slicing.