Improving one’s fitness is one of the most common New Year’s resolutions with many people getting back into the gym at the beginning of the year. Come Spring, however, many people have already given up or forgotten about their health and fitness goals. Whether it’s due to busy schedules or lack of motivation, many people need someone to keep the accountable and teach them how to fit healthy behaviors into their day. This is where a certified personal trainer can help. Listed below are 10 reasons why you should work with a personal trainer in the New Year.
10 Reasons to Work with a Personal Trainer
- They are professionals. When looking for a personal trainer to work with, it’s important to ask them about their credentials. If you live in Scottsdale, AZ, or anywhere in the nation for that matter, you are likely to find many fitness “professionals” who solicit you for their services, but make sure to find one who is certified through a reputable, accredited organization, such as NASM, ACE, ACSM or NCSF.
- You will learn about health and fitness. A certified personal trainer will use their expertise to provide you with fitness and weight loss tips and create a safe and effective fitness program for you that will help you successfully reach your goals. The information they share with you will help increase your understanding of the benefits of a healthy lifestyle, therefore increasing your passion and motivation.
- They will push you to your limits the right way. Many of us need somebody to push us a little harder so we can reach new fitness levels. That said, however, not everyone has the knowledge and training on how to motivate people effectively. Certified personal trainers know behavior change techniques that allow them to effectively communicate with their clients in a way that motivates them to work harder without causing burnout, insecurities or resentment.
- They hold you accountable. When you exercise by yourself and miss a workout, who gets on your case when you skip? Just your guilt. A trainer will be there to hold you accountable at all times and, if you do not show, there is a chance there is a penalty fee for doing so, which can be another way to motivate people to stick with a program.
- You will overcome plateaus. When working towards a fitness goal, there may be a chance that you will hit a plateau, which is a point in your training where you no longer see results. These can be frustrating and disheartening, but if you work with a personal trainer, they can provide tips on how to overcome your plateau in an effective manner.
- They support your needs. A trainer can be both a friend and a mentor and are there to support your needs and wishes, which will help you develop overall success in your life.
- They increase efficiency. Nobody wants to spend endless hours at the gym without seeing any progress. This is where a trainer can help; they are skilled at making your program as efficient as possible so that your time (and theirs) is best utilized.
- They personalize every workout. Just because your friend is doing CrossFit, it doesn’t mean that CrossFit is best for you. Every person has a unique set of physical and mental strengths and weaknesses, and a trainer can help you set realistic goals based on these unique attributes. Furthermore, as you progress in your program, a trainer can modify if needed to make sure you stay on track.
- They will help you maintain proper form. Maintaining good form while working out and lifting weights not only reduce the chances of injury, but it also guarantees that you are working the correct muscles. To ensure your safety when lifting weights, it is very important to make sure you’re working with a certified personal trainer who has had the proper education in regards to program design and proper form.
- They Provide Safety. When you are new to the gym or returning after a long time, it is tempting to want to jump right back into things as if you have been exercising regularly, which is harmful to your muscles and your health. A trainer will ease you into a customized workout so you do not suffer from a stroke, heart attack, or a pulled hammy.
If you live in the Scottsdale, AZ area and are interested in working with a personal trainer, contact me today to schedule a free consultation!