Believe it or not, you already have 6-pack abs — you just might not be able to see it under a layer of belly fat. If you want your abs to be visible, you need to strip away the fat and tone up the underlying muscle. I’ve laid out the nutritional and fitness solutions to bring those abs front and center.
The 6-Pack Formula
Reduced Body Fat + Enlarged Abdominal Muscles = Visible 6-Pack Abs
The development of a six-pack is primarily a matter of body fat reduction.
What’s the difference between a person with “no” abs compared to a person with a six-pack? A person’s abs are visible because they have a lower body fat percentage, and have larger ab muscles; whereas the person with “no” abs have their abs hidden underneath fat and water.
- Fat that surrounds the organs.
- The type of fat that causes the “beer gut.”
- Requires more effort to lose.
- Associated with serious health problems; increased blood pressure, cardiovascular disease, and diabetes.
- Fat that builds up under the skin.
- The type of fat you can pinch or grab onto.
- Has less of a negative impact on health.
- Easier to lose than visceral fat.
The Ideal Body Fat % for Visible Abs:
- Men 10-12%
- Women 15-17%
Fact: Women hold more belly fat than men.
What Causes Belly Fat
- Lack of Sleep
- Sugar & Bad Fats
- Lack of Exercise
- Processed Food
NOTE: Some people are more inclined to store fat on their belly than others. I’ve broken down the three types of builds most people fall into. Take a look and see what your body is inclined to do. If you need help identifying your body type, or want to learn how to tailor programs to your specific needs, we can go over it in your free consultation. Schedule today!
The 4 Elements of Belly Fat Reduction
1. Your Diet
- CUT DOWN BAD FAT and stick to good fats: olive oil, nuts, oily fish and flax seed
- DRINK ALCOHOL IN MODERATION. Research shows that alcohol decreases fat burn – especially in the belly. That’s why you hear “beer belly” and not “beer hips.”
- KEEP TRACK. Download a calorie tracking app to keep track of your calorie intake. Dietitians recommend a daily average of 2,000 calories.
- INCREASE DAILY PROTEIN. Protein should account for at least 30% of your caloric intake.
- AVOID SUGARY FOODS as well as processed or fried food.
6-Pack Abs Are Made in the Kitchen, Not in the Gym
When I have a client come in for a consultation and they say getting a visible six-pack is one of their goals, I immediately pair them with my team of dietitians. Here, they are able to identify dietary solutions that will ensure they meet their goal and track it.
Schedule a free consult, today, and discover what changes you need to make to finally get those 6-pack abs!
2. Do More Cardio
- RUNNING at 8 mph can boost your metabolism by 13.5 times.
- CYCLING for 90 minutes at a moderate speed can burn 1,000 calories.
- JUMP ROPING can burn 11 calories per minute.
- HIGH INTENSITY INTERVAL TRAINING (HIIT) can burn 50% more fat than steady-state cardio sessions
6-pack abs may not be made in the gym, but a good fitness routine certainly helps. Here are a few complete core workouts I developed to get you started. When you’re ready to get serious, book some time with me personally. I’ll give you a free consult when you fill out this form.
3. Get Enough Sleep
- NOT GETTING ENOUGH SLEEP leads to overeating.
- CHRONIC SLEEP LOSS causes 30-40% drop in metabolism.
- AIM FOR 6-8 HRS OF SLEEP A NIGHT
4. Work Your Abs
- MIX IT UP by doing different exercises that work different parts of your core: Stability Ball Jackknife, Decline Crunches, Ab Roller, Hanging Leg Raises
Warning: People with body fat is over 25% should avoid ab focused workouts and spend time doing cardio exercises.
- CHANGE WEIGHTS AND POSITIONING to increase resistance and difficulty.
- TRAIN ABS only 2-3x per week to allow for recovery.
- ADD AB-CRUSHING COMPOUND LIFTS (squats, deadlifts, kettleball swings) to your gym routine.
I developed 30-day 6-pack abs nutrition and workout routines for men here, and women here. Gives these a shot and if you like what you see, schedule a free consult with me, personally, and let’s see what else we can do to help you get 6-pack abs.
4 Common Myths
Myth #1: Doing Crunches Will Spot Reduce Belly Fat & Give Me 6-Pack Abs
Fact: Ab exercises will strengthen your core and build your ab muscles, but it will not spot reduce the belly fat that covers your abs – this is achieved through diet and cardio.
Myth # 2: Crunches Are Sufficient Enough To Give Me Abs
Fact: regular crunches, in isolation, are actually one of the most ineffective ab exercises. Choose exercises that require more effort, provide more resistance and work your entire core (i.e. leg raises, kneeling cable crunches, stability ball jackknives).
Myth # 3: Long Bouts of Cardio Are the Best Way To Burn Fat
Fact: Since muscles have higher energy stores in them, the body will actually begin to feed off of them after extended cardio regiments, rather than fat. High intensity interval training is the most effective form of cardio to burn fat. Do short bouts of intense training that brings your heart rate to 80-90%.
Myth # 4: Cleanses & Diuretics Will Create 6-Pack Abs
Fact: Depleting water or shedding water weight through cleanses and diuretics will only temporarily make your abs look better and is not recommended.