The Importance of Post-Workout Protein

The Importance of Post-Workout ProteinA workout routine is a great start to building muscle in the body; actually it is 90 percent of the entire muscle building process.  The other 10 percent of the muscle building process comes from diet and supplementation.  Diet is an important part to leaning up and looking good.  Supplementation with protein isn’t cheating nor is it giving the body a boost; rather it is a way to nourish worked cells in the body to help repair torn muscles.  This article will discuss how protein supplementation can help build lean and sculpted musculature to make your workout plan more effective.

Protein supplementation is nothing new in the fitness industry.  In fact, supplementation is a highly recommended feature in any training program.  Ingestion of protein can help aid in muscle building process and in theory can help prevent a high level of muscle tears during workout to avoid soreness.  Some of the most frequently asked questions regarding protein involve timing, how much to consume, and what brand.  While there are numerous variables within this type of supplementation, one must consider the benefits of protein supplementation and what it can offer a workout program.  Listed below is a complete guide on protein supplementation for post-workouts.

The Importance of Post-Workout Protein 

The following are a couple of considerations for protein supplementation and the timing of ingestion post-workout.

  • Body Composition. Some studies performed on milk ingestion following a workout demonstrated effective increases in lean body mass (fat loss), strength gains, muscular hypertrophy (enlarged muscle mass), and a decrease in body fat [1].  This demonstrates that protein supplementation, particularly following exercising, can have a valued effect on weight loss and for anyone looking to “lean up.”  In addition, consuming a reasonable amount of protein post-workout can have a lasting effect on muscle growth.  Studies have demonstrated that leucine, an amino acid found in many protein supplements, has a positive impact on the generation of protein.  It is suggested that roughly three to four grams of leucine be present in your protein supplement to help aid in the muscle growth process.  This should be listed in any protein you purchase in the United States.
  • Protein type. So you decide you will start taking protein supplements following your workout and run to the nearest health food store and find out that there are tons of protein options available.  Whey, casein, whey-casein blend, which do you choose?  The answer depends on what you need.  To help matters, consider protein as a substance which aides in growth and functioning of your muscles.  Whey protein is a type of protein that is known to “act quickly” in the repairing of the muscles.  In addition, whey protein offers optimal protein content to help build lean muscle mass (not bulky appearance).  Consuming daily whey protein as part of a workout supplement has been shown to be effective for promoting and increasing overall lean body mass (either through muscle growth or through fat loss), suggesting whey protein to be a supplement to help lean the body [2].  In contrast to whey protein, casein is a type of protein supplement which has a “delayed release” response in the body.  This type of protein is great later in the day or at night and will slowly breakdown in the body to help aid muscle repair and growth for a longer period of time.  Casein will help aid in muscle hypertrophy, depending on your diet, and can definitely assist in weight loss and leaning out.

Your Challenge

If you are looking to lean up and have never been one to supplement with protein, consider protein to help aid your post-workout.  What you do in the gym is important, but it is very important in how you treat your body in the moments and hours leaving the gym that will speed up and assist in your results.  Challenge yourself to consume a recommended serving (your brand will determine this) within one hour post-workout to assist in muscle growth.  In addition, mix your protein with cold water or fat-free milk to keep the calories and fat to a minimum.  Go on a regular routine of protein supplementation for at least one month, attempting to ingest protein after a workout at least five times per week.





About the Author

, Celebrity Personal Trainer and Fitness & Nutrition Expert headquartered in Scottsdale, AZ. He specializes in helping men and women achieve weight loss, muscle building, toning and other customized fitness & nutrition programs to create a Healthy Lifestyle. James offers private luxury personal training, 12-week custom workout plans, and personalized nutrition meal plans. Follow on Google+.

Comments are closed.